Young Adult Mini Reviews: The Leftovers

I happened to read a decent amount of YA novels as well during my blogging slump from a couple of weeks ago, and for the most part, they were great reads, so I thought I'd share.


I've come to expect a lot from Julie Berry over the years, and though I was worried that this one wouldn't live up to her last book, All The Truth That's In Me, it most definitely did. This book may be too religious for a few people - honestly, I got uncomfortable at a few points because the interpretation of several aspects of the Christian religion were a bit different than my own - but when viewed as a part of the plot, it rounds out the book quite nicely. The characters are brilliant and unique, as always, and the plot is unexpected in the best of ways. I highly recommend this book for fans of the genre and/or author.


Rating: ★★★★★



This is probably my least favorite read out of the ones on this list, and that's because it was so annoying, and honestly quite boring, most of the time. While I enjoyed reading the first book even though it's an unusual book to admit to enjoying, but Broken Prince took the series to a whole new level of messed up. So much sex, betrayal, unusual high school hierarchies + family dynamics...it just wasn't appealing anymore. However, by the end of the novel I was still interested in the story in general, so I will be reading the the next installment - I just hope that the characters learn to get a hold of themselves, while the plot can go to hell because that stuff is juicy.


Rating: ★★
Click to add to goodreads.



I'd first heard of this book a long time ago, but never picked it up because I wasn't sure I'd like it. It sounded a bit too intense to be up my alley, but so many people I knew gave it such great reviews that I figured I'd give it a shot. Good thing I did, because it was amazing. Though it was off to a bit of a slow start, I was soon flipping pages like a madman: the characters were extremely well written and characterized, the plot was gripping, and the relationship between the queen and her guards was amazing. This is probably the most extraordinary fantasy I've ever seen in the YA genre, and it's a must read no matter what type of books you're prone to reach for.


Rating: ★★★★★



Not to soon after reading The Queen of the Tearling, I jumped into the second installment in the series, and it didn't disappoint in the least. Things are a bit different in this book as readers are told - in a series of visions throughout the novel - the story of Tearling, and the plot is simply so much larger in this one. The coolest thing about this book was probably that you could literally see the the main character growing older physically and mentally - you don't get that opportunity in a lot of books. The plot was a bit slow at times, but it never lost my interest, and I guess all I can do now is wait for the next book to come out.


Rating: ★★★★★


1 comment:

  1. I've heard mixed reviews about The Queen of Tearling, but I'll have to try it out sometime. I'm intrigued by the idea of the character growing older physically and mentally throughout the series. I'm all about character development and I'm glad to hear that this series definitely has it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2016 The Lone Reader. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.